Thursday, April 7, 2011

week 2 - Blog #2 - Response to Curt Isakson


Gulf Shore photo by Curt Isakson



Curt Isakson wrote:
One of the most compelling points bought across in this book, and what has stuck with me the longest, was the concept of giving an ‘A’ for a particular project to free one-self of the grade, and to let a person fully experiment, fail, or succeed without the worry of getting a bad grade.  I believe this can be a wonderful way of letting loose the chains that bind us creatively.

I find myself in this course having to make decisions about whether I do what I really want to do (which usually is more involved), or just make sure I fit the criteria for the grade.  Many times I have made the conclusion that I want the grade and have not taken it as far as I wanted to.  The projects I am most proud of though are the ones that I really didn’t care about the grade and did what I felt was right in my mind.

This course has used this concept many times, and I use this same idea in the classes I teach.  A ‘no-fail’ approach to some of my learning environments really brings out the best in my students. 

Posted by Curt Isakson

My response:
I agree, Curt! When we allow ourselves to fully immerse ourselves into a project and forget about how others may judge or critique it, that is where our creativity is set free.  You’re right about Full Sail giving us the opportunity to try new things on a pass/fail basis.  I hadn’t really thought about the EMDT program as starting us off with A’s, but I believe you are right!  Now all we have to do is pass this belief forward to our students and see how far they can go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment