Friday, April 1, 2011

Week 1 - Blog #3 - Response to Melissa Lodhi



Melissa's post
Reading: Copyright Infringement by Melissa Lodhi



I find the issues surrounding copyright law fascinating.  I am particularly interested because much of my career revolves around
 these laws.  As a professional choreographer, my own intellectual property is protected but I run into massive risks when using music to accompany my work.  Trying to publish or share my work is impossible without original music, which is unaffordable in most cases.  The video “Good Copy, Bad Copy” was eye-opening.  I am extremely baffled by how so many artists are able to produce work that is technically infringing on copyright.  It sounds like all remixes and remakes of songs are stealing intellectual property.  Copyright law is a jumble of pitfalls and loopholes.  In order to pay artists for their work, all 3000 songs on my iPod have been purchased on hardcopy or through iTunes, but I have on many occasions used the work of artists as accompaniment for my work which is technically a no-no.  

Image courtesy of Morguefile 




My Response:

Melissa, I appreciate your candid and personal view on copyright.  There are many people who share your situation.  Where their art is reliant on someone else's creation.  Unless you are a famous choreographer, it is impossible to pay the required fees for original music.  Yet, without your interpretation through dance how many young people wouldn't learn?  I find the copyright laws very perplexing.  I agree artist need and should be protected.  Yet, how could you help not being influenced and inspired by the art to create something else?  Does the new art, even in another medium, then become the property of the first artist?  Perplexing is a great word to describe copyright law!

No comments:

Post a Comment